POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ideas on how to accomplish this effect needed... : Re: Ideas on how to accomplish this effect needed... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideas on how to accomplish this effect needed...
From: blooflame
Date: 3 May 2007 21:55:02
Message: <web.463a916db7cab9247a9334df0@news.povray.org>
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

> web.4638100b40b8ee6c7a9334df0@news.povray.org...
> >I am looking for help on an effect (or maybe it's two effects)
> >
> > 1. I want to create a 3D image which looks like transparencies stacked one
> > on top of the other. Each transparencey will have an image or text on it
> > (via image_map I think).   I can use Box{} to simulate the sheet with
> > dimensions of the sheet and z dimension being thickness (i.e. a very thin
> > box).  If I put several on top of each other will I need to increase the
> > maxtrace value?
>
> If you use boxes, the rays will cross 2 surfaces per box. Why not use planes
> or pairs of triangles (if you want edges) which have no thickness at all
> beeing single face objects? You certainly will need to increase
> max_trace_level which default value is5.
>

> > 2. Is it possible to determine where on the Box{} the image is placed?
> >
> You can apply transformations to you pigment.
> Here is an exemple of texture :
>
>    texture
>    {
>       pigment
>       {
>          image_map
>          {
>             jpeg   "You_image.jpg"
>             once // image displayed only once, no tiling!
>             filter all 1.0 // filter transparency  as coloured filter , you
> can use transmit as well (or any mixed amount of both) as a thin fabric
> behaves with light
>          }
>          translate    <-0.2, -0.5, 0.0>  // here a translation but you can
> scale and rotate as usual
>       }
>       finish
>       {
>          ambient 0.0
>          diffuse 0.8 // diffuse value higher than 0.6 default value to keep
> a contrasted image
>       }
>    }
>

> Marc

A) I would have thought the translate operation needed to be within the
brackets for the image_map? (I am not unfamiliar with programming, just
POV-Ray). As written it seems to translate the pigment as opposed to the
image.

B) Won't the image fill the entire plane? Sometimes I want the image to be
only a small part of the "transparency"

But, thanks for the tips - I will try to use some of them and see what
results I get.